Thursday, September 01, 2005

Party Pooper

Playing Poker for a living is already a crappy enough venture. Where else can you work a forty hour week for a loss. I can handle that. But Party Poker today effectively gave us all a pay cut to the tune of ~20% by raising their maximum rake. I won't go into exact numbers, but that's a lot. This also has a huge effect on the entire player base. Anyone playing at or a little below a break-even winrate will now turn into a significant long-term loser, and the crappier players will go broke that much quicker. I suppose Party Poker never learned the old phrase, "You can skin a sheep only once, but sheer him many times." So the immediate effect is bad, the long-term effect will be even worse.

Apparently there was a horrible hurricane? My mother was appalled that I hadn't heard. I get less news now than I ever did on campus. Which wasn't much. I guess this means I'll need to start taking a daily paper of some sort, and ruminate over it with a hot cup of coffee in the morning. But then I'll need a sexy bathrobe and slippers to sport in front of the neighbors.

...

I see where this is going. Staying informed is obviously the first step of a slippery slope towards adult responsibility. Sneaky bastards.

2 Comments:

Blogger Koobs said...

Are you kidding? You didn't know about the hurricane? I guess you also don't know that 80% of New Orleans is underwater and the city is being forcefully evacuated. The people there are turning into animals: shooting at medical convoys and cops, looting, raping inside shelters, etc. If you have the internet (and by posting on this blog and playing poker, it appears you do) go to www.drudgereport.com for links to the stories. It's absurd. Worse than the "state of war" that we (well, some us) read junior year in seminar (Locke, Hobbes, etc).

10:01 AM  
Blogger Koobs said...

oh, and there are fires now too.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home