Sunday, July 10, 2005

Wave of Mutilation

I'm killing myself, I'm sure. I've only slept three out of the last seven nights.. a predictable pattern of two day intervals. I'm at a trough right now, and how-do bed, don't mind if I skip the forplay. Before that though, we have pressing concerns. I have yet another new hobby! The ancient and se(a?)cret art of Chinese Paper Folding. My floor is currently littered with the mutilated corpses of many brave 5x5 squares of multi-colored paper, each frozen in a tortured mockery of divers forms of boxes, baskets and small furry woodland creatures. An apt Platonic metaphor can most likely be found somewhere.

On another note, I would go so far as to say that you haven't really lived until you've played a morning round of golf with your brother-in-law, your Club's resident assitant Pro, and two other good old boys, all the while suffering from both sleep deprivation and malnuourishment. I was Tiger Woods for those few fleeting hours. And yes, I took their money, a cool $1.50. We're talking high stakes gambling.

My brother-in-law, the former Vice-Principal for the local Junior High, just got bumped to head Principal, which is pretty sweet (teachers might not get paid shit, but the big wigs do). He's a great guy, and I'm really happy for him. He's also a damn good golfer. Our asst. Pro is not. I don't know what it is about PGA Professionals (not the touring ones), but most of them are dicks. I worked at our club for three years in high-school shagging balls and cleaning clubs, and suffered under the reign of the biggest asshole I've ever met. He was recently ousted by the course members, thank God. Judgment is still out on the new guy. He gave me a pretty cool swing tip while I was on the range, so I'll give him the benefit.

Apparently I'm the point leader in our WSOP keno league with 9th, 4th, 3rd and 1st place finishes, whoo. I don't really care about the poker though, I just like hanging out with the rednecks, drinking and smoking and pretending like I have a life. My brother has caught the bug like so many people, and spends all his time playing play-money online poker. He takes his wins and losses more seriously than I do. I busted him at the last tournament, and he almost cut me. I'm pretty confident that the poker ponds will be well stocked with fish for the next few years. Listening to the grandma next to me berate someone for calling without proper pot odds (when he clearly did), while a guy at another table expounds on the nature of coin-flip races (calling an all-in with J/10s), all the while playing in a sports bar in BF USA... well, I get giddy. God bless the WPT.

Hmmm. So, yeah. I should probably pick up alchoholism. Make things interesting.

3 Comments:

Blogger Koobs said...

I just went to Vegas, daddy. It made me miss you. I got to see Hansen and Chan play at the Bellagio. Sexy!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Koobs said...

I would've let you know we were going, but it was really last minute. Are you going out there anytime soon? Are you coming out here anytime soon? Are you coming out anytime soon?

10:14 AM  
Blogger Prophet said...

WHEW! at first i thought this post was about kittens because of the title, but everything worked out in the end...

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home